SMSF Foundations Course
On successful completion of the course you will have learnt how to:
- Identify the different types of superannuation funds that exist and list the advantages and disadvantages of SMSFs.
- Explain the requirements to operate an SMSF, including the trustee structure, requirements of the trust deed and a trustee’s responsibilities.
- Outline the key requirements of trustees preparing and maintaining a fund’s investment strategy.
- Explain the investment restrictions imposed on how a trustee can invest within an SMSF.
- Explain the different types of contributions that can be made into superannuation and the limitation in making contributions.
- Outline the different types of pensions that can be paid from an SMSF and how benefits can generally be paid to a fund member.
- Describe the taxation issues specific to SMSFs, including the different tax rates and exemptions that apply within a fund.
- Explain the different statutory requirements that a trustee must adhere to in running an SMSF.
The SMSF Foundations course is made up of seven modules. You have the option of attending just one module, or all six. All modules are delivered online and include a detailed workbook and other references to be used as supporting materials throughout the course. An assessment is included at the end of each module for students to successfully complete as part of the course completion.
- Module 1 – Introduction to super & SMSFs
- Module 2 – SMSF investment rules
- Module 3 – Contribution rules
- Module 4 – Pension & paying benefits
- Module 5 – Taxation of SMSF & member benefits
- Module 6 – Statutory reporting & responsibilities
- Module 7: SMSF Estate Planning
The course will take up to 21 hours to complete, inclusive of the assessment that must be completed at the end of each module.
Students who complete the course will receive a certificate of completion.
Recognition of CPD hours is available for the major accounting bodies (CPA, CAANZ and IPA), the SMSF Association and Tax Practitioners Board (TPB). Successful completion of the course will also provide CPD hours for FASEA.
Students have a total of 4 months to complete the learning and assessment requirements within the course from the date that the course is activated.